Cloth factory museum

Cloth factory museum

The Öewersauer Nature Park is particularly keen to preserve the region’s ancient handicraft traditions, in keeping with one of its aims.

In Esch-sur-Sûre, a weaving guild already existed in the 16th century, so that the origin of the factory goes hand-in-hand with the invention of the first wool machines. Martin Schoetter-Greisch built a fulling machine in 1807 and 10 years later he installed the first spinning machine. In 1866, the company was enlarged to make possible all the necessary operations for cloth production.

When production of wool products resumed, the former cloth factory in Esch-sur-Sûre returned again to its original purpose after it had closed down in 1975. An exceptionally valuable cultural and craft heritage was thus not only preserved, but also further developed in a contemporary manner.

The carefully restored machines can still be seen in the cloth factory and be operated during guided tours (on request).

Exclusive woolen fabrics are today again produced on the Museum’s machines and are on sale in our shop.

You can find the opening hours here.

Photo: Caroline Martin
Photo: Caroline Martin
Photo: Caroline Martin
Photo: Caroline Martin
previous arrow
next arrow
Slider