As part of the H2Only project, the Upper Sûre Nature Park and Benu Village Esch a.s.b.l. have decided, to create a bar with the help of the local residents, in which the themes of water and textiles play a major role. The furnishings of the H2Only bar will be made exclusively from old jeans and wood.
From May 2021 to August 2022, the bar is to serve as a meeting point for various activities during the Capital of Culture Esch 2022, and will wander from Esch-sur-Sûre to Esch-Alzette.
H2Only: Bring your old jeans to the Nature Park Centre in Esch-sur-Sûre! Here they will be given new life.
We already invite younow to donate your old (blue) jeans.
These will be collected by the project leaders and broken down into their individual pieces. The jeans pieces thus obtained will be made available to associations or individuals who would like to participate in the realisation of the furniture (tent, footstools, tables, decoration, etc.) for the bar.
Jeans collection point: Naturpark Öewersauer, 15 rue de Lultzhausen, L-9650 Esch-Sauer.
Programme May 2021 to May 2022:
5 sewing and up-cycling workshops, called “large workshops”:
- 1-3 days of sewing workshops, each in a village where a local festival is held.
- Production of 20 seat cushions (for 1 person).
- Production of 5 “Fatboy” type jeans seat cushions (size 2.5 m), which will be returned to the site at the end of the project to commemorate the project.
- Decoration for the bar.
- Production of furniture for the bar.
- At each station/location: collaboration with a youth centre or local association.
15 small workshops on sewing and water (2-3h courses) as part of existing events.
- Educational workshops about water and the lake (public, children): building a water filter, water wheels, determining the water quality of a river, etc.
- Tasting of the different types of Luxembourg drinking water (tap water, bottled water) and bottled water.
- Textile workshops (different techniques): knitting, upcycling, etc.
- Cleaning up of the rivers Sûre and Alzette (kayaking, plogging), collection of this waste to create a “memorial” at the entrance of the bar. Stop at Thil (F), the source of the Alzette.
- Lectures, film debate on the textile industry (relationship between water and textiles), cooperation with Caritas (“Rethink your clothes”), etc.
- Legends, sagas, fairy tales, tales about textiles (e.g. “Des Kaisers neue Kleider”) combined with a textile workshop (cooperation with Potty Lotty). For children and families.
- 2-3 lectures, e.g. about expressions from the world of textiles (e.g. “blo maachen”), sayings from the world of textiles, the value/role of manual labour.